Butter pecan macaroons are filled with butter flavor and sweet pecan shells. You might think these are hard to make but they are easier than you can imagine so get your apron ready and bake some macaroons.
Butter Pecan Macaron
Yield: 20 cookies
Prep time: Approx. 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour minutes
List of Ingredients
FOR THE SHELLS
2 ounces almond meal
2 ounces pecan meal
7 ounces powdered sugar
4 ounces egg white, room temperature
Pinch cream of tartar
50 grams sugar
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
3 – 4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon meringue powder
1/2 teaspoon butter extract
3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pulse powdered sugar, almond flour, and pecan meal together in a food processor until it is a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl, place the egg whites and sprinkle the cream of tartar over the eggs and mix together. Whisk together until the mixture is foamy. Slowly add the granulated sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Add ⅓ of the almond mixture into the meringue and slowly add the remaining until it is fully incorporated into the meringue.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe about 1 ⅓ inch rounds onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- After all the batter has been piped on the sheets, grab the pan and bang it against the counter. This will release any remaining air bubbles from the meringue and allow the macaroons to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Once rested and tops are no longer sticky, bake at 325 for 7-9 minutes. Rotate the pans from front to back and bake for an additional 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the buttercream filling, place the butter shortening, butter extract, and meringue powder and beat until creamed together. Slowly add the powdered sugar one cup at a time or until thicker than desired. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe the buttercream on one shell and top with a shell of matching size. Pour sprinkles in a bowl and roll the macaroon to decorate.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @ranchopecana on Instagram and hashtag it #PecanCravers